Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Is it a 1-person or 2-person?
• Each Crystal Kayak comes with 2 seats and 2 paddles. You can easily convert it to a 1-person arrangement by simply removing a seat (takes 5 seconds)
Q. It looks like a canoe?
• It's a kayak/canoe hybrid. It has a flatter bottom than a kayak or canoe and is wider. You paddle with kayak paddles, and it can seat up to 2 people. More storage area and legroom than a traditional kayak.
Q. Can they stack for easy storage?
• Yes and No. To truly stack (nest) them you need to remove the interior frame which takes 5-10 minutes. Because this can get tedious, we recommend doing this for more long-term storage plans.
Q. Do you ship to locations outside of the USA?
• Yes. Contact us here and we'll prepare a shipping quote for you. Be sure to let us know how many you plan on ordering and if you have a specific deadline that must be met.
Q. Do the hulls scratch easily?
• No - as long as basic common-sense steps are followed to avoid creating conditions that lead to scratches.
• ALWAYS spray down the kayak with fresh water after each use. Particulate matter is what leads to scratches.... wash out salt and sand!
• NEVER drag them on the ground. When you're done using a kayak be sure to pick it up out of the water before it has a chance to drag on the sand/rocks/grass/etc.
Q. If scratches start to appear is there something I can do to reduce them?
• Yes. We offer a Crystal Kayak Hull Restoration Kit. Click here for details.
Q. I'm a little nervous about sharks. Would the Crystal Kayak or LED lights attract sharks?
• When we were designing the Crystal Kayak, we considered this. We spoke with a Marine Biologist in Florida who confirmed that this is NOT how Sharks hunt. They hunt by sensing food (chum, blood, etc.) in the water. Even the shape of the Crystal Kayak is safer as the transparent body does not resemble any sea life shapes or other animals. Science is amazing!
Q. Why would I buy a Crystal Kayak if the water has low visibility?
• You might be surprised! Even in waters without great clarity, you can see more than you would in a traditional kayak. Because the hull submerges a few inches in the water, oftentimes you can't see it due to sand and other grime or debris in the water rising to the surface.
Q. Why is my Crystal Kayak had to control? It rocks and sways.
• The problem is in the SKEG on the back. It has either fallen off or is damaged (usually from dragging it out of the water). Without the SKEG, the kayak will rock, sway and drift. The SKEG will keep it centered, you will have more control and the ride is way better. It is still safe to use without a SKEG and will not capsize. If you are renting a Crystal Kayak, be sure the SKEG is attached, you will appreciate it.
Q. Does the Crystal Kayak tip over easily?
• Nope. Because of the design, it would take a lot to tip. Getting in and out is easy. After some practice, you can slide overboard to go swimming, snorkeling, or diving. Climbing back in will also not flip the Crystal Kayak. This all takes a little practice to get used to the feel. You will get some water in the hull, just have your microfiber bailing sponge on board.